[at-l] Re: Why the Grand Unification Theory - isn't

[rafe b.:]

> > The article also states that, of these 6400 acres under discussion,
> > and miles of waterfront -- "there is little public access to the
> > waterfront."
> >
> > So the question is WHY.  If the taxpayers contributed $11
> > million to purchase this land, why is there still no public access?

[Dave B.:]

>It may be in the definition of "public access".  I took a walk in the
>Allegheny National Forest this weekend and the Forest Service roads were
>gated closed.  There were signs on the gates that said something to the
>effect of, "Foot Travel Welcomed.  This Road is Closed to all Public
>Motorized Vehicles."  I LOVE walking in that forest:)

I like the idea of keeping RVs and ATVs off those roads, but in
all likelihood the roads were cut for the benefit of logging trucks,
if USFS had anything to do with it.

I've done a bit of walking on USFS roads, and they can be very
pleasant.

As to the Chesapeake Bay land (in the article that Jim O. cited)
I still don't know what was meant by "little public access."  There
are lots of ways to keep folks off a piece of property.

rafe b.
aka terrapin