[at-l] Action for Gov Clement, was "Need Vermont...

Actually this is one of the oldest structures on the Long Trail,
predating the existence of the AT by about 10 years.

Here's what my Long Trail guide says: "This stone structure ... was
built in 1929 by the family of William H. Field of Mendon and named
for Percival W. Clement, Governor of Vermont 1919-21. Thre is bunk
space for 8-10. Abundant water at the brook 200 feet East."

The shelter now is not always as it was. It once had a closed in
front, with a door and windows and it was a VT style cabin-shelter.
The West wall is local stone built up, containing a large fireplace &
hearth. The rear, and East walls are local fieldstone well mortared.
It probably once had a wood floor as do many of the LT cabins further
north.

It's lasted a long time, has a lot of history to it. Anything can be
moved, I guess, if expense & time are not a factor. But this one
would be a real challenge. -RD

--
Arthur D. Gaudet        	"Is walking down called hiking, too?"
(RockDancer) 	                 -heard at the top of Mt Washington, NH