[at-l] Underwear on the trail.

Tom,

If you haven't figured it out beforehand, you'll have over 2000 miles to
figure it out as you go.  Maybe put a couple options in your bounce box so
you can switch out as you go.

I use an option that can work well for men and women.  Bike shorts.  I
discovered this option by accident one weekend many years ago when I wanted
an extra pair of shorts in my pack "just in case"...  My cotton shorts got
soaked so I put my bike shorts on and haven't found anything else nearly as
comfortable since.

The lycra legs that can't bunch up or rub prevent chafing so I don't need to
carry goop.  They rinse out and dry fairly quickly.

I was a bicyclist before starting to hike extensively and was already used
to wearing bike shorts sans underwear and that works great for hiking, too.

If you wear true "padded" bike shorts, get cheap ones with a minimum of
padding and bulk for hiking.  Ones without an inseam are bonus.  Also,
little pockets that they sometimes tuck into the waist can sometimes bunch
up and be uncomfortable under your backpack.

Many of the hikers I met on the trail who started out wearing underwear
gave it up as they went.  Invariably, they would get chafed.  A couple of
days without underwear and they usually didn't go back.

Men often wore the shorts with mesh panels in them.  Women, just shorts.

Anyway, while this was neither a boxer nor brief answer, perhaps it was an
option you hadn't already considered.

Hope this helps,

Mara
Stitches, GAME99