[at-l] Cell Phones - It's Not the Phone, It's The CourtesyThat Matters

At 05:38 PM 5/30/2002 -0500, Tom Mantooth wrote:

>I truly feel that the AT will one day be much like the trails in Europe,
>which I have seen, will have hostels placed a days walk apart for hikers
>to stay in.  In most places you can not tent or stay any where but a
>hostel.  I would not say this was caused by progress but by the power of
>the almighty dollar.  It is happening everywhere and I feel certain it
>will happen to the AT at sometime in the future.  I only pray I am able
>to hike the AT before this happens.  In fact the ultra light phase may
>well be teh first step.

You already have something like that in the White Mountains
with the infamous AMC hut system -- along with the stringent
rules & regulations about where one can and can't camp.

Perhaps what's needed is a (new) long trail in the USA that's less
rigorous than the AT, with more amenities, less vertical travel,
etc.  I don't have a problem with the "European" system --
I think it has a lot of merit.  My wife simply loves the idea.
As I get older, the idea seems even better <g>.

For sure, I'd much rather see a new trail created in that model,
than try to adapt the AT to that model, which really would be a pity.

Perhaps the next "Project in Regional Planning" should consider
the aging of the population and the need for a kinder, gentler trail...

rafe b.
aka terrapin