[at-l] Cell Phones - It's Not the Phone, It's The Courtesy That Matters

In a message dated 5/28/2002 12:32:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
russboltz@comcast.net writes:

> One assumption a lot of backpackers make is that "manmade" things or
> "technology" on trails "isn't natural", and thus to be avoided and
> criticized.

    *** Not exactly Russ. There are those of us who would like to believe
that the AT is a fight or cause to keep a narrow corridor of east coast
woodlands a place to preserve a natural sense or sensibility. Russ, it isn't
as simple as you put it, and a few of us are wise enough to know man and his
ways and what follows from just a little of this and a little of that. There
are those extreme and hopeless few of us who wish the AT were a place where
people respected the need of this special wild zone and approached it that
way in respect of its cause. We wish the cause of preserving a sense of
wildness was more than a nagging annoyance to Trail users, but was instead a
desirable and understood common purpose...

    I'm more concerned with fighting corridor destroying development myself.
However, a lack of appreciation amongst Trail users of keeping the Trail
primitive will affect public perception of the AT and its goal. Networking
the AT through cell phone communication will definitely remove the Trail's
sense of remoteness which is what it is there for in the first place. Seems
basic to me...

    (Stay On Topic!)

multipart/alternative
  text/html