[at-l] lessons learned and great moments

> Zip stoves have lots of moving parts, and alcohol stoves have no
> moving parts. They both get the job done for many.

Agreed, but in defense of the zip stove, there are only two moving parts - a
switch and the shaft of the fan motor.  You can dunk the whole mess in
water, shake it out, and still run the stove.  Should the switch die, you
can bypass it.  Should the motor die, you can still cook on the stove, it
just takes longer.  Having said all that, despite horrific abuse, my old zip
stove cooked along nicely for many years with no problems.  I have never run
out of fuel, never been unable to find dry fuel, never had the stove fail,
never had the stove go out in high winds, and never had the stove 'blow up'.
All this, and the added benefit of actually being able to actually cook on
the trail...

I do own a Whisperlite, but I never use it anymore.  There just isn't any
point...for me.  Depending on the terrain, I would carry it instead of the
Zip stove.  Arctic or Antarctic terrain, for two - and barren desert for
three.  Since I don't plan to visit the poles or the Sahara any time soon, I
don't even have fuel for the whisperlite any more...

I've built some alcohol stoves, but, to me, they are a tragedy waiting to
happen.  Many people use them without mishap, however, and I am probably
over-thinking the danger.

Shane