MSR Beef, was Re: [at-l] lessons learned and great moments

>Though I usually refrain from posting on "hardware wars" issues
>I gotta say that I just love almost everything that comes out of
>MSR -- their stoves, water filters, etc.  Their engineering ethic
>is one that I can really relate to:  simple, functional field-repairable.

Just one gripe about MSR.  They are the sole North American distributor of
the Swedish Trangia alchohol stoves.  In theory, you would think that would
be a good thing, given the MSR's presence in every outdoor store in this
country.  But for some reason you hardly ever see Trangia stoves for sale at
even the better backpacking shops.

While there may be a good reason for this, I am on the internet now so I
prefer to think that there is a conspiracy going on.  I have got to believe
that MSR is working to keep the Trangias away from the masses to protect
their leadership position with the Whisperlight.  I am not sure how the big
backpacking magazines play into this, but I again I am on the internet so I
think their advertising sales managers are wound up in this conspiracy too.
Not everyone is going to make thier own stove, but anyone can plunk down $20
for a Trangia, if they are resourceful enough to find someone willing to
sell them one.  REI retail stores and camping mailorder houses are deep into
this conspiracy as well.  As I understand it, the cabal meets every month at
a secret location in New Jersey to reafirm this restraint of trade.

With the new airport luggage screening devices and sensitivities I think the
Trangia has an additional advantage these days.  While it will pain me to do
so, one could buy a new burner before any flight without breaking the bank.
And you don't need to buy fuel bottles either. Basically $20 so I don't have
to worry about anything.  Pepsi and can stoves would be even better in this
regard, I suppose.  Perhaps I should get off the computer and try building
one.

In any case, a Trangia is such a good first alchohol stove, I think it is a
crime that these are not more available in the marketplace.

Rick B