[at-l] The Real Truth About "Lynxgate"

I would like to just offer this observation:  It is useful to me to
consider stories like the Lynx hair bit, and the ESA/forest fire
fighters bit as a kind of ink blot test.  We all WANT to believe some
things more than others, depending on a complex array of factors, not
the least of which are our own personal experiences, our own political
views and our own, very personal, views on that
impossible-to-define-but-everybody-knows-what-it-means term we call "the
environment."

For myself, I have no idea what the truth is re either story, and I have
absolutely know way of knowing what sources to "trust" either.
Unfortunately, that is one of the lessons of "growing up" - learning
that there are MANY "news sources" that are impossible to verify; that
the internet has exacerbated this problem many-fold; and that, in the
end, there is precious little on these specific subjects that ANY of us
can ever really "know."  That does not mean we all stop thinking, or
forming opinions, or even taking sides, but instead that we perhaps
approach such stories, and - more importantly - the underlying issues
they represent with both a bit more caution/humility, and a LOT more
effort at critical thinking and fact-finding.  In the end, there are
often few easy answers, and a lot more effort involved in getting to any
verifiable answers! :)

Hiking, and thinking, on!

Thru-Thinker