Re[2]: [at-l] Maine land prices and ATC pledges

"...I  could  enthusiastically back an effort to provide an AT corridor. I could
only  slightly less enthusiastically back an effort to "save" as much of Maine's
"wild"  land as possible. But when the two purposes are combined, then the AT is
the  loser  because money that should be going into AT corridor protection would
be  going  to  protect  other  land  which  has  nothing  to do with the AT. The
combination   of   purposes  WOULD  BE  detrimental  to  the  AT.  That's  basic
Organizational  Dynamics  101.,"  replies  Jim,  who luckily has returned from a
weekend  in  the  woods,  that  most  likely  folks  with fuzzy goals managed to
protect, despite all the naysayers.

However,  a  clarification is in order. We are trying to protect an AT corridor,
which  we  define  as lands adjacent to the existing trail corridor and the most
important viewsheds from that corridor.

Several  groups  are already involved in "an effort to "save" as much of Maine's
"wild"  land  as possible." Competing with these folks is the last thing we want
to  do, though we certainly welcome those efforts and some of us even contribute
to those efforts.

Having been involved in these matters for more years than I like to think about,
I've learned a few things -- One. you can always find a lawyer or a scientist to
tell  you  what you want to hear. Two. People who do not want to part with their
hard-earned cash, can always find an excuse.

However,  this  is  a  monumental  task,  which I undertake only because similar
monumental  tasks  have  proved  successful  in  the  past.  I  urge everyone to
contribute what they can. More importantly, I urge anyone with the name, address
or  connection  with  people with the resources to do an extraordinary important
thing, to please let us know.

Weary