[at-l] Maine land prices and ATC pledges

At 10:12 PM 5/28/2002 +0000, Jim Owen wrote:

" And I rather suspect that some of the recent (last couple days') topics
are sticking a toe over the line as far as the conditions for the donations
to ATC are concerned.  The "tone" has gone back to "Liberal vs
Conservative" / "Environmentalist vs whatever" / "Trail advocacy" -- and
that's NOT hiking related.  Keep in mind that a chunk of the money that's
supposed to go to ATC will be coming from "me".  And right now, I'm not
happy with what happened over the weekend.  Yeah - I'm growling.  But maybe
I'll get over it - maybe."

Some arguments persist and can't be smoothed over.  To me, the
issue is whether folks can discuss such (non-trivial) matters with
mutual respect and civility.

Einstein said, "We should strive to make matters as simple
as possible, but no simpler."

"The problem" (IMHO) is that we've lost the ability to discuss
serious, important issues in a civil manner.  How can we call
ourselves "citizens" until we regain that skill?

And by the way, what happens or doesn't happen (with regard
to pledges) doesn't need to affect, in the least, how much money
gets transferred from Jim/Ginny Owen to the ATC.  That part
is your choice, entirely.

rafe b.
aka terrapin