[at-l] Lynxgate, ESA, Rep. McInnis (a bit off topic)

Greetings,

If the ESA was even an "influencing" or "contributing" factor in the fire
deaths, then shame on them for *any* hesitation in smothering the fire with
smoked salmon.

The political reality is that politicians grasp at sound bite topics with a
fervor that make Letterman and Leno look like amateurs.  Conservatives who
oppose the ESA will seize upon murky (fire deaths) and less murky (Lynx
hair) issues to bash it and curtail its far-reaching status.  In the same
manner, liberals will take to economic and business events (Enron, Savings
and Loan Crisis), try to link them to every conservative issue they can, and
rely upon the ignorance of the populace and the complicity of the press to
achieve their aims.  Their scare tactics regarding Social Security are
legendary, but recently they were reduced to writing (sorry, no ACLU links
here):

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20020524-399983.htm

Take Care,

Tim