Re[2]: [at-l] Maine land prices

"...Perhaps  you  folks  would like to duke this out in private? May still has a
few days to go . . ." comments DaRedhead.

 Red.  Why  should  a  list  devoted  to  the  AT should refrain from discussing
 protection  of  the  trail corridor? Jim asked legitimate questions. I answered
 those questions to the best of my knowledge.

 The  challenge  posed  by  Ryan  does  not  preclude questions and answers, nor
 legitimate  disagreement.  The  test  is  whether  we can address questions and
 answers,  and  disagreements  without  also  making  personal  attacks  on  the
 questioner  or  the  answerer,  or at least that is my understanding. We need a
 polite list, not a list that ignores important trail matters or disputes.

 We  heard  complaints  last  summer from hikers in Maine who experienced forest
 harvesting   operations   within   25   feet   of  the  AT  tread  way  in  the
 100-mile-"wilderness." A land trust is being created to raise money to buy land
 --  much  of  which  is  already  being  advertised for sale -- to broaden that
 corridor and to protect the view from the high ridges and summits, and possibly
 even,  if  we  can  find the funds, to purchase land for loop trails that would
 take some of the pressure off the AT.

 Jim  raised  legitimate  questions  about  this effort. Hopefully, I managed to
 answer  some  of  those questions. I appreciate his interest. I hope others are
 equally interested.

 I  was  at  a  regional  "northern  forest"  meeting  a few days ago at which a
 representative  expressed  amazement  that  important wild land was still being
 offered  on  the  market in Maine for as little as $300 an acre. We have a rare
 opportunity  in  this  state  to  finally realize some more of Benton MacKaye's
 85-year-old dream.

 When  the  National  Park  Service  was  buying the trail corridor in Maine two
 decades ago, the private landowners opposed a wide corridor. In the years since
 the economics of forest harvesting have changed. The paper companies and timber
 companies  suddenly  want  to  sell  their holdings. They are advertising their
 lands  every  day in the national press and recruiting the help of high powered
 real estate agencies.

 The  questions is not whether these lands will be sold, but who the buyers will
 be  --  land  speculators or those who oppose development of what is by far the
 largest undeveloped forest east of the Rockies.

 I  can't think of a greater tragedy than for the trail community to ignore this
 unprecedented opportunity.

 Weary