[at-l] New Balance 805's for a thru-hike?

I have a different take.

I am a marathoner and have strong feet.  I did 170 miles in April on NB 905s
(805s with more Arch support).  The problem wasn't my ankles, but the wet,
muddy, rocky road was too much for the NBs.  Also the toe support going down
was bad (you may be luckier with fit).

I just did another 184 miles in EMS Mirage IIs.  This was up through
Connecticut, Massachusetts and Southern Vermont.  These fit well and have
Gortex.  We'll the trail was less rocky but MUCH wetter and at one point 8
incheds pof snow.  No way I would have been happy in running shoes.  I was
very happy with relatively waterproof boots (till the water went over the
tops art Sages Ravine and I was scared to jump the rocks in the pouring rain
so I just tromped through.).  I was warm and dry (almost dry) the whole way.
They are still light so I was happy.

It's not the support, it's the terrain!

YMMV

Pb