[at-l] a sobo remembers....Solitude & Floatplanes

Solitude & Floatplanes

=20

I started the 100 Mile Wilderness alone, leaving Abol Bridge on the =
morning of the 19th of May. I had a pack-off break at Hurd Brook =
Lean-to, saw Earl's entry in the register and took water from the brook. =
Lunch was a little late and taken on Rainbow Ledges. The flies also had =
lunch; they were thick. Descending from the ledges to the edge of the =
lake, I found the wind blowing and with the flies absent, the walking =
was pleasant. I arrived at Rainbow Spring Campsite late in the =
afternoon. The Nomad was pitched just as a thunderstorm arrived, almost =
exactly timed with the rain in 1992 when I stayed at this same campsite. =
The first day of the hike had been perfect; I had seen no one.

=20

The first floatplane arrived the next morning at 5:00, landed on the =
water, unloaded and roared across the lake as it took to the air. I =
remember thinking; "I hope that is the only one." It was not to be. By =
the time I finished breakfast and had started south the 5th plane =
landed. About the time I made the left turn at the outlet I heard voices =
and looked to see if I could see someone approaching. Nothing. Then =
voices again and this time I could tell they were behind me. As I =
listened I realized that they were gaining on me and that meant they =
were in a canoe. As I heard them get close I stepped off the trail and =
behind a tree.

=20

As they passed slowly by one guy says, "What a beautiful place.  Can you =
believe this? And nobody for miles!"

=20

I started to step out and call a "GOOD MORNING!,"  but decided that just =
because they had shattered my illusion of wilderness there was no reason =
for me to shatter theirs.

South Walker
GA-ME 1999
In hiking there is no special recognition given for speed, style
or finesse. There are only those who do the hike and those who don't.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---