[at-l] Salt Tablets

Most of the advice about salt sounds reasonable.  Especially if you eat a
lot of salty commerical food like soup mixes, jerkies, etc.  But if you go
for "health" foods or "homemades", you may not get enough salt.

I worked in a "cotton" mill for a number of years.  They went as far as
providing salt tablets and later Gatorade mixes for water kegs.  When I went
on a diet, I ate very little salt.  And I HATED the taste of Gatorade; so I
did not drink it.  Unfortunately they discontinued the salt tablets.

While on top of a piece of machine 20 to 30 feet high, I almost passed out,
and was so weak and out of it, I had to have a "team" go down the ladder
behind me and in front of me.  The infirmary's diagnosis was that I had
sweated out too much of my electrolytes and water.  I got a long "lunch"
break where I ate lots of salty food and drank lots of liquids.

If I had been alone, and if "salty" food had been nearby, I would have been
in serious trouble.  And all from exercising hard in high heart and not
getting enough salts.

So, I'd carry some salty food, and a few tablets JIC.  A few salt tablets
won't hurt for emergencies.  And if you need them, you probably can find
them in most medium sized towns.

Better yet, carry electrolyte drink mixes.  If you can stand the taste.

William, The Turtle