[at-l] Note from John Shaffer

FWIW: The hostel where Earl and Dave Donaldson met, as told in the York Dispatch
article, was The Cabin in East Andover.

Dave,  who  hiked as "Spirit of 48", and Earl finished the trail together at the
urging  of  Margery and Earl Towne, who have developed the Cabin hostel over the
past  few years. Spirit was at The Cabin a few weeks ago and took the orders for
mine  and  several other copies of Earl's "Calling me back to the hills." Spirit
assures us that ours are among the last copies that Earl was able to sign.

The  new  issue of the "Mainetainer" which should be out by the end of the month
will  feature  stories  and  pictures  of  Earl  Shaffer. The MAINEtainer is the
newsletter of the Maine Appalachian Trail Club, which maintains 273 miles of the
trail  in  Maine. We always welcome new members. Just send $15 to Barbara Clark,
49 Old Carriage Road, Auburn, Maine 04210.

Or as an alternative, send me an address and I'll send you a free copy.

Weary