[at-l] This 'n That & Tdays update

Speaking of Miss Janets and Erwin -  I went over to spend some quality time
w/ Leapfrog and Goose before they hit the Trail tomorrow on the way to Trail
Days, and there was Baltimore Jack, offering me some of the awesome dinner he
made.  The man can cook - lasagna, salad, garlic sticks and wine - there were
lot's of happy NOBO's sitting around looking stuffed :)  Leapfrog was quite
upset with her pack weight - it was a whole 35 pounds, with three days of
food, winter gear and water.  We are trying to figure out how people manage
20-25 total with all that stuff - I mean, after all, she's carrying a nomad,
a pepsi can stove, a light pack, a light bag.  I think I'm going to have to
start researching the lightweight backpacking sites a bit - I really don't
see how she could have lost any more weight in her pack, and I just don't get
how some of you manage to have such light packs!  Of course, mine has never
been as light as 35 lbs, but that's because I have a lot of old, heavy gear.
I don't see why hers was that heavy, though.  Oh well.

It was a pleasant evening amongst wonderful people.  We did learn a few
things about Trail Days though.  According to Miss Janet, who was just up in
Damascus a few days ago, there will be NO camping on city property.  That
means no tent city by the river . . . not even in our swamp :(  They will be
running free shuttles to and from the campsites near Backbone, about a mile
out of town, but I can see this is going to cause a major change to the Trail
Days experience.  It is unclear whether you can camp on private property with
the owners permission, although she thinks we can.  Also, Quinceys is no
longer Quinceys, but a different kind of restaurant owned by different
people, and will not be serving beer anymore.  Guess we've lost our favorite
place to wait for food . . . :(  No one is sure what the thinking is behind
the change in camping rules, but it almost seems as though Damascus is
rethinking it's desire to have Trail Days held there.  I dunno.  Guess we'll
see how it all works out, but now I don't have a clue where us swamp rats
will be camping . . .

Red

multipart/alternative
  text/html