[at-l] Re: Gluing on Pole Tips

Hey Cosmo...

Are you sure you aren't seeing crampon scratches?  Most of the scratches I
ever see on rocks in New England are clearly crampon scratches (lots of
parallel scratches in one small area).  Obviously, there are also pole
scratches but the scratches from two poles of a hiker pale in comparison to
the 10 sharp points (much sharper than poles) of a crampon sliding over a
rock that doesn't have quite enough ice for the teeth to bite into.

I agree that the damage pole tips do to softer trail is pretty
insignificant...  compared to both hikers and mother nature.

I go hiking after work on trails not far from where I live and just 5 miles
from Boston.  There are times when I go as often as 4 times a week.  In the
hudreds of hikes I've taken there over the last couple of years, I've only
ever seen two other people using poles.  But, in the winter/early spring, to
look at the trail, you would think there were thousands of hikers there with
sharp pointy poles.

When the muddy trails get into the freeze and thaw cycle, the forming ice as
the water freezes does more "damage" to the trails than I have ever seen any
hiking poles do.  The entire trail seems as if it has been roto-tilled.

At the right time of year, this phenomena is evident in many places where
muddy trails freeze.

Just another perspective,

Mara
Stitches, GAME99