[at-l] OT (sort of)

I work on cell towers, landscaping around the bottom of them.  They have
towers made to look like pine trees.  We sometimes put antenna on power
lines.  Digital technology requires line of site transmission.  If you were
to climb a tower you would see one at a 33 degree angle in all directions.
They are set up in a grid system.  Distance has very little impact other than
the farther they are apart the greater the likelihood that something will
obstruct the signal.

So to answer your question yes shorter would work but at $400,000 a pop not
very cost effective.

Clyde