Re[4]: [at-l] Cleaning poles

> Since I don't maintain trails like both Jim and Bob do, I am
> not sure what to think, but I have followed the
> recommendations in the article that is to put on a rubber
> tip anyway. With super glue it stays on pretty good.

I don't know about evidence of trail destruction, but I will say that I
don't understand why hiking poles have pointy metal tips anyway.  Having
crossed all kinds of terrain, I have only had a call for metal points when
crossing ice.

I have nice big rubber tips on all my poles, metal, wood, and otherwise.  Of
course, down here in the swamp, a pointy metal pole is about as useful as
wearing crampons...

So, my question is, unless you were crossing ice, why wouldn't you use a
nice, wide, rubber tip?

Shane