[at-l] Bear cables dont work!

There's a good network of information on the trail.  When you get to a
shelter, if there's been bear problems, you'll read about it in the register
and will then know to bear bag your food.

If there haven't been problems, most thruhikers think it's not worth it to
go through the effort to hang food.

Even though a smaller "stealth" camp away from shelters might be less likely
to attract bears, I was more likely to bear bag my food when I was camping
away from shelters.  Just couldn't tell unless there were obvious signs of
bear (claw marks, scat) whether there were bear in the area.

Mara
Stitches, GAME99