[at-l] Bear cables dont work!

mara and amy write:

>Wow.  I had no idea.  Do most start out hanging food and get tired
>of it?

<< There's a good network of information on the trail.  When you get to a
shelter, if there's been bear problems, you'll read about it in the register
and will then know to bear bag your food. If there haven't been problems,
most thruhikers think it's not worth it to go through the effort to hang
food. >>

One thing I need to add to what I said earlier is that in those
aforementioned "trouble spots" I would definately think twice before
sleeping with my food. Going through the smokies before mid-april helps (the
bears tend not to frequent the higher ridge crests before then). Also, they
will typically avoid shelter-hung food if the shelter is very crowded with
people (like in Shenandoah). In NJ I will definately be using the bear
boxes...

wc