[at-l] FW: WILD FIRE CLOSINGS???

This is from the ATC.  I decided to go to them to find out if it was true.
-----Original Message-----
From: Laurie Potteiger [mailto:lpotteiger@appalachiantrail.org]
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2002 5:58 PM
To: William Neal
Cc: Lauren Post - Web Coordinator
Subject: Re: WILD FIRE CLOSINGS???

Hi, Bill--

With one exception (Schaghticoke Mtn. in Connecticut), there are
currently no trail closures anywhere  along the A.T.

Two things may have contributed to the rumors:

1) Notices of fire bans posted along the Trail last fall may never have
been taken down. The Appalachian Trail Park Office issues posters to
local volunteers that mirror and support the local ordinances.
When a state lifts a fire ban, A.T. volunteers may not get word,
and the poster stays up longer than it should.

2) Fire bans are sometimes termed "fire closures," meaning
an area is closed to fires, but not closed to general public use.
Sometimes a "fire closure" may be misinterpreted to mean a
"trail closure."

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We will work on
adding something to the Trail News section of our website to dispel
the rumors. We just learned about the Schaghticoke Mtn. closure
(which has been in place since last fall since treadway rehabilitation
was required and is not yet complete). When we get more information
about this closure and whether a temporary reroute is in place, we'll
post that as well.

Regards,

Laurie Potteiger
ATC Information Services Coordinator