[at-l] Re: Hammocks & Weight (was: Gear: Shelter plans for NJ next week)

In a message dated 04/21/02 4:08:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
orangebug74@yahoo.com writes:

> Back to Jim's question, including David, is what else is needed for a
> hammock? One _could_ simply find trees of the right diameter and
> distance and tie the rope directly to them, but then you begin to risk
> damaging the trees from the binding and torsion. I like the quick and
> less bark trauma of a tree hugger (webbing of some sort with 'biners
> used to connect the hugger and the hammock). I looked at daisy chains
> last week at REI, which were much lighter, but $21 each sort of set me
> off from it.

Bill -

Mine came with the wide tree hugger straps and hasn't created any bark
troubles that I can tell (in my backyard or in the woods), so I don't use
anything extra.  So it's still 2.5 pounds.  I understand from the discussion
at the Ruck that they added them since people were making their own since the
originals were just the tie cords (I think) for the reasons you stated.  At
least that's what I think I heard.

Black&blue

multipart/alternative
  text/html