LONG : Lost or Stolen cash cards while hiking(was): [at-l] RE: How much cash to carry?

Check the following webpage for current info on VISA Credit, cash, and
travel money cards (this appears to be the VISA company site and not a bank
site):
	http://www.usa.visa.com/personal/cards/visa_check.html

I checked the site and found out the following info:

VISA has a travel money card.  It is "preloaded" with a set amount of money.
It can be reloaded or discarded and a new card bought.  Easy to spend but
much harder than money for a crook to spend.  From site: "Visa TravelMoney
is a pre-paid travel card that gives you 24-hour access to your travel funds
in any local currency. With Visa TravelMoney, you may conveniently obtain
cash to pay for taxi and metro fares, gratuities, museum entrance fees,
telephone calls, souvenirs, snacks, and many other cash expenses. Your
dedicated travel funds are quickly accessed at more than 700,000 Visa ATMs
in 137 countries. What's more, your funds are fully protected by your
personally-selected PIN (personal identification number). And because Visa
TravelMoney is a pre-paid, reloadable card-not associated with any of your
bank accounts-you can add more funds to your card when in the U.S. or simply
throw away the card when your funds are depleted."

HINTS:
1)	You should check with your local instituion about their exact
policies regarding the card.  And if your bank does not offer what you want,
I'd ask why and then indicate that you're willing to go elsewhere.  And then
do so if they don't.  A lot of banks are willing to deal if you bug them.

2)	The cards are not protected for the $50 maximum amount at ATMs (but
then I guess it depends
your contract with your bank), but the $50 maximum apparently applies in
other situations & with the zero liability "thingy", you're 100% protected
(with some exceptions: See #3).  Although I've never had the problem, I
understand many institutions limit the amount of each withdrawal and the
number of withdrawals at ATMs in a single day.  And I've heard that some
institutions may be able to stop transactions if the transactions seem
"unusual".  Plus most bank ATMs have a camera (not sure about corner store
ATMs).

3)	There appears to be something call zero liability (which maybe an
add-on insurace policy): From site: "With the new Zero Liability policy,
you're no longer required to report fraudulent activity within two days and
you're not responsible for any fraudulent transactions made over the Visa
network.  The Zero Liability policy covers all Visa credit and debit card
transactions processed over the Visa network-online or off. The only
transactions not covered under the Zero Liability policy are commercial
card, ATM, and non-Visa-branded PIN transactions."

4)	The cards have a PIN number from what was stated on the site and a
signature space.  Some may even have fancier ID checks depending on your
bank.  This should make it harder to use for a crook to use your card.
Almost impossible if you don't give out your PIN.  In fact, you should
memorize your PIN or if you write it down, encode it in such a way that
no-one can figure out what it is (I've added such numbers to my address book
as a phony address).  & No-one has the right to look over your should while
you key in your PIN.  & You don't have to give it to anyone -- not even
police (check site).

5)  	From site: "The Visa check card is still your ATM card, but you can
also use it to make purchases from your checking account everywhere you see
the VisaŽ symbol. It's easy - simply hand your card to the cashier and ask
to sign the receipt. You don't even need to key in your PIN."

The site has a lot of suggestions on protecting your cards.

Three more comments:

1) I would open a second checking account if you're really worried about
your life savings evaporating.  & I would keep only a "fair" amount in that
account. Say equal to what you might carry in travellers check (& They are
not 100% safe.  I had a friend get hit several years ago.  Lost their checks
& the person who found them was a pro: Did a fair imitation of the
signature) I doubt most banks would forbid you to open a 2nd checking
account.  Then authorize someone at home to transfer funds into the account
you use on the trail when you need it.  Possibly the bank can arrange a
transfer of monies when you call them and approve it.

2) Locals do not always know the rules.  & Many will hand our garbage
because they don't know what else to do: Example from libraries:  Not all
people who work in libraries have full training.  I've answered questions
about some books that others could not.  Several times I've told people that
books were there that other staff members have said were not.  I knew the
"official" title or the common title and the other staff members did not.
Especially the work-studies.  Also find out before you go what your rights
are.  And always politely but firmly insist on speaking to someone in
charge.

Example: I had to have an emergency wiring of money via my bank's branch in
Orlando: My car broke down at Universal.  Just a couple of months before
that, I had been on the AT (which does not run through my state) and I never
had trouble getting money wired to local banks.  In fact, my bank wired it
to a bank in Tenn. that was not even part of their organization & the people
there were so nice and helpful.  Yet in Orlando I had to waste over an hour
getting them to realize that "Yes" they could accept money wired from their
South Carolina affiliate and "Yes" they could cash it.  BUT I had to keep
urging them to call the South Carolina organization who had already wired
the money.  They kept insisting that they could not do what I said, that I
had not done what I already had done, and that they did not have a wire
transfer (which I later saw them pull from under some other wired
documents).  Luckily a "knowledgeable" person came in and straightened the
whole mess out.  Never give up but always be polite.

2) Always be aware of where your card is.  Keep it in a safe place.  Check
on it as you travel and as you use.  I'm almost an Obessive-compulsive.  I
check my money 3 times in line at restaurants and then a couple of times on
my way back to the car.  DO SO!  Then if you miss it, report it immediately
to the police, your bank, & your card company (which almost always has a
toll free number that can get more done). Also, a crook is unlikely to be
able to get to town and clean you out before you get to town (either heading
to town or heading back).

>From site: "With the Visa Lost/Stolen Card service, reporting a lost or
stolen card is simple. Just call Visa Customer Service at (800) 847-2113 [or
(410) 902-8011 collect], and a Visa representative will work with you to
notify the appropriate authorities and replace your card."

I apologize for this lengthy email but I hope it helps

William, The "I lose my head if... Hey where is my head" Turtle