[at-l] Daypack Help Solicited

> > I'm back to wearing a fanny
> > pack turned to the front.  anklebear

> Has anybody ever found a different handy way of comfortably
> and efficiently carrying your "at hand" stuff?  Camera,
> gorp, map, emerg items, and more.

I use a fanny pack as a belly bag.  I'm very keen on this idea, but I own
seven or eight of them and none of them are quite perfect.  Either they are
too small or they are so large that they 'bounce' and slap your private
parts with every step.  (Especially true in areas where one can walk au
natural.)

Possibly the best solution I have come up with is this: Take a fanny pack
that you like.  Cut the straps off about 7" from the end of the bag.
Install clip buckles.  Make two straps:  One that is 'normal' length, and
another that is REALLY long.  (I suppose you could use an adjustable buckle
and tuck the extra length into the bag when in use as a waist purse).  The
long strap should be long enough to go over your shoulder and around your
pack.  Put on your pack.  Now put on your shoulder bag (over one shoulder),
slung in front.  Now drag on the strap until the bag is either next to the
pack, or riding behind the pack.  When you want something from the bag, drag
on the strap the other way and swing the bag back around to the front.
Works like a dream.

My favorite 'day pack' is an Avirex model that has a large mesh front pocket
and about thirty little pockets all over it.  I have been trying to find
another, but this one is 15 years old and shows no sign of falling apart.  I
don't think Avirex makes bags any more...

Shane