[at-l] Resupply frequency and is 4300 cu. in. big enough?

>Ther are few(very few) places on the AT where it's necessary to carry >more
>than 3 or 4 days food.

I would not disagree.  But by the same token you may find that there are
plenty of places where you will want to carry more.  Especially if you start
as a SOBO.

What are the chances of that?  I don't know.  From what I understand of how
hiking the Trail has evolved, frequent resupply is the norm.  It may well be
that it is a superior way of hiking the Trail for many people.  I think it
is safe to say that one's decision regarding the frequency of resupply will
have an enormous impact on the nature of their trip, however.  An impact
that will extend beyond simply the weight carried on one's back.  Every
hiker makes a choice.  Getting into and out of town is not always an easy
thing, logistically or emotionally, IMO.

I also think the weight issue is not nearly critical for may hikers as is
often made out to be.  No that's not right, it is critical.  Hikers have
articulated really well the "cost" of carrying extra weight.   Lighter is
better than heavier with all other things being equal-- absolutely.  But
sometimes extra weight can bring great benefits (or at least differences),
and I think the extra weight of a few more days food falls in that catagory.

As a SOBO, I didn't do everything right early on in my trip.  I set out on
the AT with 11 days of food since I was a bit intimidated by the Wilderness.
  When I got to Monson early I did not need my mail drop, so I had it
forwarded to Stratton.  That got me to Gorham.  Gorham got me to Glenclift,
Glenclift got me to Manchester.  And so on.  All told, something greater
than 10 days of food per stop all the way to Springer.

Would I do this again?  Hell no.  I am middle age and have a gut and would
probably kill myself.  But I was in shape once.  And while I started out
packing 10 plus days of food because I din't know any better, I ended up
doing so by choice.  I did get used to it, and I got used to extended
stretched in the woods. It worked for me.  I recognized that there was a
trade-off between the amount of food I carried and what I wanted to do with
my trip.  Were I to hike again, I would find a new "right" distance between
resuppy for me on the Trail, and I would use WF's and the ALDHA books to
take advantage of resupply points that were virtually on trail.  But I would
always remember that with the extra weight of more food, extra benefits
sometimes possible.  I would not buy into the idea that lighter is always
better when it comes to ressuply strategies.  Unlike some other trails you
have real choices on the AT, although if you get overtaken by a "group
think", some of those resupply stategies may not be considered as closely as
perhaps they would otherwise.

How is this relevant?  It may not be, except to suggest that it is important
to hike your own hike.  And the kind of hike you want may evlove some while
you are on the trail.  I'm not good with pack capacity issues, but I do
think that were I to hike again I would be looking to find a pack that would
comfortably allow me to load it up with more food (and weight) than that
which would be appropriate for 3 to 4 day ressuply.  To put it simply, I
would want to be able to hike my own hike and not have my pack determine
what that was because of volume, or, more likely, a suspension system that
would not be up to heavier loads.

Anyway, where this really comes into play would be with the really small
packs that have little or no internal frame, and not much of a hipblet.
With one of thoe really small packs, God help you if you ever decide you
wanted to carry a bunch extra food.  My bottom line is that I would want a
pack that left me with options to carry more.

I guess my post doesn't really address your question at all , then.  OK, at
least it gave me a chance to brag about carrying food.  I do that every few
months.  There had to be some reason I carried it.  I really am not bitter
about the experience. ;-) ANd, nowdays, both my mind and body are soft, so
please excuse the digression.

Rick B