[at-l] Anybody seen my "Smoke Shifter"

>Message: 15
>Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 12:24:02 -0500
>From: Rami <rbenhameda@comcast.net>
>Subject: Re: [at-l] Anybody seen my "Smoke Shifter"
>To: Shane Steinkamp <shane@theplacewithnoname.com>,
 >  Jean-Paul Miller <jeanpaul@comcast.net>,
  > AT-L <at-l@mailman.backcountry.net>

>What was the MPF of your Moon Block?
>
>On the Smoke Shifter, I have a custom modified model which was originally
sold as a Left hander, but was then >retro-fitted Ambidextrous.  I really
don't use it any longer since I got my Sil-Nylon Smoke Shifter Tarp which
allows >almost infinite directional variations.

>If you'd like, we can discuss off-list what it would take for me to send
my Ambi-shifter to you..

Actually, I was very successful in creating a smoke shifter with a poly
tarp.  No reason Sil-Nylon wouldn't
work the same way and be a little lighter.

I was canoe camping and the wind was coming off the water, through the
fire, and under the tarp.  Needless
to say, it was smokey under there, but wet every where else.  I strung a
couple lines on the trees between
the water and the fire, and hung another tarp (3x5) to form a wall,
probably 2-3 feet upwind from the fire.
The effect was that the smoke was pulled up and went over the tarp.  It
sure made that storm
more enjoyable.

So, even though I've seen plenty of people looking for smoke shifters
(being a long time Boy Scout
and leader), I know they really exist.

Marc