[at-l] The Blueberry Ledges Trail.

 This trail begins about . 4 miles after the AT footbridge over Abol Stream
at the new Information Kiosk. Blueberry Ledges follows an old tote road
upwards for a mile, over ledges and large open areas through burned and
logged second growth birch and alder. Skirting the West shoulder of a large
long hill it follows along east of Katahdin Stream. Several large cairns mark
the trail for about half a mile over the ledges. At the Park's Game Preserve
boundary the trail heads North heads into woods. Following a game trail it
trends away NNE through stands of tall pine. At about two miles it winds
through old burn and second growth again, until at about three miles it
descends into and across swampy boulder strewn stumpage. It rises again into
tall pines and snakes through a really pretty mossy older forest. It crosses
a brook and flattens out as it nears "Hiker's Dream." Lots of Moose and
coyote sign in the middle three miles. If I were to guess, I'd say the trail
is closer to 6 miles than 4.2. The trail ends at the new campsite on the
perimeter road, about 200 yards north of the Ranger's driveway. It's brand
new after the Game Preserve boundary, blazed in blue paint, and blue trail
ribbon at times. I lost the trail three times, only picking it up by spotting
saw work ahead. The mossy footbed the last two miles is slick, but a season
of hiking will wear that off.
 I'll have photos up soon (this weekend?)
TJ

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---