[at-l] Bad news re: AT at Katahdin

 *The new AT lean-tos haven't been built yet!*
 (pardon the ramble.. inna hurry)
 I hiked into Baxter State Park from Abol Bridge to check out the new
"Hiker's Dream" set-up for AT throughhikers.
 Background: Last fall the two AT lean-tos at Daicey Pond were removed and
rebuilt at Foster Field for group camping. Baxter's plan was to relocate the
AT hikers from the cabin campground to the hiking/climbing oriented Katahdin
Stream Campground. You all know about *that* background...
 Anyhow, I took the new blue-blazed "Blueberry Ledges" trail (4.2 miles) that
supposedly shortcuts the AT by about 5 miles going direct to "Hiker's Dream."
The AT hasn't been rerouted, but I bet many hikers take the blueblaze.
There's a large kiosk at the trail junction with Baxter State Park
regulations and sign-in sheets. Probably to replace the
sign-up-for-spaces-Daicey board at the 100 mile trailhead.
 The Hiker's Dream site is in a swamp. There's a foot of water almost
everywhere, the ground is mud, and the gravel building pads are smushy. There
are piles of sawn logs (the lean-to kits) and roofing shingles sitting in
water. The only things built are a tent platform and the privy. The privy
looks like it's sinking backwards.
 The tote road is still closed, no one has opened up Katahdin Stream's or
Abol's Ranger cabins. Work crews seem to have been working down at Abol Pond.
 Last fall, I was told that Hiker's Dream would be ready on opening day (May
15th) for southbounders. When I asked in January I was told the same thing. I
haven't talked to anyone at Baxter yet, so I have nothing 'official' to add.
 What a freakin' mess...
TJ

multipart/alternative
  text/html