[at-l] hummingbirds on LT

Last August, on my birthday in fact, while hiking S on the Long Trail
I was buzzed by a pair of hummingbirds, that followed me for about
1/2 mile. I was surprised to see them so far N, and that they were in
thick fir forest looking for flowers. It was just S of VT 242 , about
20 miles S of the Canada border. I stopped for a break, put my pack
down, and then saw what they were really after, the bag for my
one-person tent is bright red (well, sorta dirty red now) and it sits
on top of my pack. As I ate they continued to hover, lunge, etc.
perhaps thinking "this is the biggest flower I've ever seen, but
where do I feed!" First time I've ever seen hummers perch on
branches, too.

Gardeners know that to draw hummingbirds, plant red flowers, esp.
those with long, tubular blooms.

--
Arthur D. Gaudet        	"Is walking down called hiking, too?"
(RockDancer) 	                 -heard at the top of Mt Washington, NH