[at-l] Helping a newbie Part 8: Sleeping Bag Selection

>pick.  As before, Bob isn't small.  6'4", 240 pounds.  He needs a BIG >bag.

I'm your friend's size, after Thanksgiving and with shoes, anyway.  I might
suggest that he may not need a big bag so much as a long one.

As for a big bag, I have to admit I have one in the form of an 20* REI Fat
Cat.  It sure is comfortable to sleep in, but does come in a bit heavy at
3.5 pounds on the REI Chart-- more on my scales.  Thats a lot for a long
distance hiker.  Some people just don't like the idea of a mummy bag,
though.  So who knows? Technically, the Fat Cat is a mummy in that it has a
hood if you want to use it, but it feels more like a camp bag.  I think a
hood or collar is important no matter what, though.   Lately I have used
mine more as an outer bag on winter trips with a 25 year old Frost line Kit
bag tucked inside.  It is really huge inside. That said, I think your friend
may fit in normal girth bags better than he might first think, so I would
definitely want to check out lighter-tighter ones first.

On the AT you can swap out bags in warmer weather.  I wouldn't be above
checking out Walmart type stores for a second warm weather bag.  That
approach has worked for me.

Rick Boudrie