[at-l] Pine Mountain Trail

I visited the trail last month following a Rotary meeting for our region.
It is surprisingly rugged country on a mountain stranded in South Georgia.
On the east end toward Warm Springs, there is a spit of ridge jutting out
over the valley with a road running to an ancient BBQ pit that has been
concreted up. The view looks south and east over south and central Georgia,
over farmlands that Roosevelt had acquired and much land he had returned to
the trees. This BBQ pit was a place he and friends would visit, pull the
car seats out and lounge in the clear air and eat BBQ off of china and
silver in style.

I've never seen pictures of FDR and his family at such affairs, but the
picture in my mind contrasts Hitler at his Barvarian lair and the President
who helped make our trail possible with CCC and other efforts - some good
and otherwise.

Pine Mountain is well out of the way of the AT, but well worth a visit. I
hope to hike it late next February after the next regional meeting I have
to attend.

OrangeBug