[at-l] Helping a newbie Part 8: Sleeping Bag Selection

W F Thorneloe wrote:

> The second concept is seasons. These are very good winter bags for AT
> hiking, at least below 4000 feet and away from Nor'Easters. They will
> toast him in late Spring and summer. Think of two bags, possibly the
> fleece summer bag used as a liner to extend the winter bag's cold
> rating. If he can find someone able to do the zipper (and I think you
> bragged about such a talent), he can purchase some Polartec directly and
> fit the bag for his particular body shape.

A second option here is to get a down blanket in addition to a lighter
weight sleeping bag.  You could use both in cold weather, or
only the light weight bag in warmer weather.  Or in my case, only
the down blanket in warmer weather.

Fleece blankets are *heavy*.  IMHO.  They have a lovely feel
against the skin, but weightwise I can't justify them to myself.

It was about fifty and damp last Saturday night in Shenandoah.
I slept inside my lightweight bivy bag, on a thermarest and under
the blanket.  Couldn't have been happier.   Absolutely no constriction,
no fiddling with zippers, and a very comfortable slumber.  In a tent
I'd have skipped the bivy of course.

-amy