[at-l] Re: Libraries & hiking resources

Public libraries, in my experience, don't do very well with hiking
resources. What they have tends to be old, and most of them (at least in
the parts of the country where I have lived) don't have much. There are,
of course, exceptions to this -- the New York Public Library in NYC has
current editions of almost every every hiking guide in NYS and the NYC
metropolitan area. On the other hand, I find that many local hiking
clubs have excellent (though small) lending libraries which are open to
their members. My local club, the New York - New Jersey Trail
Conference, has an extensive lending library -- and you can borrow books
for several weeks, if you're a member. Also, some outfitters have
lending libraries -- when I used to live in Ann Arbor Michigan, I would
often borrow books from the two local outfitters.

-- Whitestag