[at-l] Dinner, Dessert, and Wind Farms

>Seems Lord MacKaye thought dams were a good idea.

Someone once said that "The truth is more important than the facts".  I
couldn't agree more.

I am not sure about the facts regarding MacKay and frankly am disinclined to
find out more.  But I do think there is a fundamental truth in what R n R is
saying about the need to promote the wild aspect of the trail.

As a community, hikers almost universally embrace the LNT ethics.  I find it
remarkable how easily we accept errosion of both the wild character of the
trail, and the wild nature of the areas around it.  When I say we, I mean
backpackers.  As an example, I am thinking of how the news of the White
Whatever Landing in the 100 Mile Wilderness was recieved (positively), or
the surprisingly acceptable idea that view shed protection is no big deal,
or that a cooler with soda's along the path is a good thing.

I am probably just thinking throught my typing fingers, but sometimes it
seems like backpackers are less interested in the big-picture issues of view
sheds and protecting the wild characteristics of the AT, than is the ATC
board.  So I guess I am wondering if that is a fair characterization.

I hope that's not the case.  But I was wondering.  In any event, I do think
that the current ATC board seems to have thier priorities in the right place
considering the nature of the ATC institution and its age.  From the outside
looking in, anyway.

Rick Boudrie