[at-l] boots

I've finally decided to trash my most recent pair of boots and want your help.
Not in trashing the boots, I can do that by myself.  What I need help with is finding a decent pair without having to have some custom made.

My feet are probably as funky as everyone else's (except that they don't smell all that bad).  My left foot is bigger and longer than the right.
I have short toes so that distorts where my foot wants to bend the boot.
I have high arches (that's the top part of the foot right?) which experience some discomfort when hiking unless I lace and tie my boots in such a way as to relieve pressure there.  My width at the widest spot makes me an E, however at the heel, I'm narrow.

Basically, if I buy boots to fit the height of my arch (?) then they are considerably too long.  If I buy boots to fit the length of my feet, they are considerably too tight.  If I buy boots to fit the width of my feet, the are usually too wide in the heel so I slip around.

I use NB's most of the time year round, but there are times when I want a good pair of leather boots (damn the weight) to keep my feet warm, dry, and happy.

If you have a hard time buying boots off the shelf and have had a good experience with some brand of boots, please let me know.

The pair I tried on yesterday were Garmont (not sure what the model name was) and they were ok, but had a bunch of leather at the tongue which seemed like it would probably cause me some problems later on.  I didn't get them but if I can be convinced that as they break in, the tongue issue will subside, I might.

Thanks,

Rami (who lives in Indiana where we don't have anything but Galyan's which is just a glorified Sports Authority and doesn't even know what it means to really fit a boot)

Ps. those of you who live in Indiana, I went to Bloomington yesterday and visited G.L. Waters but when pressed, the guy (and his boss) told me it would be easier if I just got new feet.  I'm on my way to Rusted Moon today to see if they know anything about fitting.... any other suggestions?

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---