[at-l] I'm Baack, part doux

Hey All,

I am back on the list after a long hiatus.  I see things have not changed all that much, some new faces, some old faces gone.  The list seems to be rehashing some of the same old topics as well as some new topics.  It does appear however I will not need my fireproof underwear for the time being.

I had a series of issues to resolve when I signed off of the list last fall.  The first and foremost was a health issue.  I had a lump on my thyroid and being of the generation that grew up during the above ground nuclear testing (and living in Utah for part of that time) there was a strong possibility othe growth being cancerous.  After two ultrasounds and a biopsy it was determined that I had Hashimoto's Thyroiditus which is an autoimmune disease that is slowly destorying my thyroid.  This helps to explain why I was unable to lose weight and why I had little stammina. I will be taking synthroid for the rest of my life, unfortunately there is anadjustment period that I am still in but in the near future I hope to be taking the proper amount of the medication.

It was also discovered that I had a rapid, but not dangerous, pulse (tachycardia).  I ended up getting an echocardiogram, a radionuclide imaging of the heart and two stress tests.  My EKG is not 'normal' but otherwise I past all the test with flying colours (I should have as I studied hard for them).  The upshot is that both my physician and cardiologist told me to lose weight and to exercise more.  I do not quite have the stamina that I should have so backpacking is ot of the pictue until this fall.  Likewise I am limiting all of my hiking to less than 10 miles per day.  I have joined the YMCA and I have a cardiovascular program as well as a strenght program.  I also try to go for a 2-3 mile walk every day.  In addition I have taken several hikes with the AMC.

In addition to being a little lazy my wife and I have been doing volunteer work for the Nature Conservency as well as a local historical preservation group.  I have just completed the AMC Leadership Training course so I could lead hikes.  Unfortunately work keeps me very busy and I cannot take off a lot of time as I will need some time off for my daughter's graduation from college.

I will post some belated trip reports later on.  Unfortunately none of the hikes are on the AT nor are they all that long.  I hope that they will be interesting.

Grey Owl
aka Bob Dudley