Fwd: [at-l] Hiker "quality"

> I'm afraid I don't completely agree -- if, by "awake,"
> you mean open-minded, in the more general case.

By 'awake', I mean 'aware'.

> To illustrate the point -- a debate with you or me or
> Jim Owen on the 2nd Amendment would be pointless,
> as would a debate with RnR on what wilderness is or
> what MacKaye "really meant."

The Second Amendment is written very clearly.  There are
words to it that can be easily defined.  Plain to see.  Not
much to debate.

On the other hand, I keep hearing what MacKaye said, wanted,
intended, desired, dreamed, etc.  Nobody has yet to show me
what the man actually wrote.

> What I claim is that strongly-held opinions are one of
> several attributes I attribute to long-distance hikers.

Well, that's YOUR opinion.  :)

Shane