[at-l] MATC Annual Meeting

Just  a  reminder  for  those  living  in  the Northeast. Saturday is the annual
meeting  of the Maine Appalachian Trail Club -- one of the few maintaining clubs
that does nothing but maintain the trail. (Most are social and hiking clubs that
do maintenance as a sideline)

In 40 plus years of dealing with such groups, MATC strikes me as having, by far,
the greatest percentage of workers vs. lurkers.

The  meeting  is at the University of Maine at Farmington in what the university
calls  "the  learning  center."  I  used  to think that learning applied to what
universities  are  supposed  to  do.  But  I  guess learning now is a segregated
activity, separate from sports, binge drinking and other university activities.

Regardless.  People  will  gather  at  8  a.m.  Business  affairs  begin  at  9.
Refreshments  are free. (coffee and something to nibble on.) Lunch is $5. If you
want to join, the dues are just $15.

I  used  to  go just to see the slide show of the Maine AT. Now I have to give a
report, and can't concentrate on the slides. Oh well. The shindig ends at 4 p.m.
It's  a way to start getting involved in the trail and a way to meet some of the
most dedicated trail volunteers I've ever had the good fortune to experience.

The  learning  center  is on the right as you enter town from Routes 4 and 27 --
just  past  McDonalds  and  other  fast  food  places. If you need more detailed
directions give me a holler.

Weary