[at-l] "BAD" Hikers vs. Good hikers

"There is no such thing as a "Bad" cop.  Only crooks in cop's uniforms." --
unremembered

The "outside" world sees anyone carrying hiking equipment as a hiker.  Just
as the public use to see all transients as bums.  But in the very loose
community of transients there was a difference.  Migrant workers followed
the crops and worked for a living.  'Bos (hobos) were willing to work
(though they would take an occassional road "magic" gift), but mainly they
just to travel wherever the notion took them.  Bums preferred the handout
and would bum anything off of anybody.  Bindlestiffs (as I remember) would
lie, cheat, and steal.  And we still have the same attitude in the "outside"
world.

And, we have a lot of people "hiking" who are not really hiking.  They look
like hikers.  Maybe even pretend to be hikers.  But they are not hikers.
They rip off the towns and others and they rip off hikers.

Should they be forgiven?  Yes and no.  Give them the benefit of the doubt --
if possible.  After all things do happen.  Like the hikers who took food
that they thought had been left as "freebies", and the person it was meant
for thought had been stolen (it was more the fault of the hiker's friends
who just left it in a bad place).  But if necessary, treat them as you would
any crook in town.

Not only do they steal from the store owners, campground keepers, etc.  But
their actions ARE going to reflect on all hikers, and it's the hikers who
are going to suffer.

There is no such thing as a "Bad" hiker.  Only crooks in grungy clothes with
a pack (which they may have stole).

William, The Turtle