Re[4]: [at-l] OT - Theoretical biology

"...I  think  he  may understand better (I think we are talking about wilderness
here, but I'm not sure) than you do, > Weary." claims Jim &/or...

Frankly  I  don't  know what anyone on this list understands about "wilderness."
It's  my personal opinion that there is no wilderness in the east -- at least by
any definition that makes sense to me.

 Obviously  there  are  places  that  are  more wild than other places -- for an
 extreme  example  let's  compare  the  Maine  Mall, with its multi-thousand car
 parking  lots, with the 30-car lot a quarter mile from the beach our land trust
 helped the town to buy.

 I  can't  speak  about  what  Shane or Jim and\or... might sense, but I sense a
 naturalness,  a  sense of wildness, while at our beach as compared to the mall.
 BTW,  I'm  not deliberately slighting Orange Bug, who I think chimed in on this
 debate,  but  I  only  rarely  am  able to figure out where OB's coming from --
 except,  perhaps,  when  he says a filter that removes viruses is not needed on
 the  AT, which obviously is true, though I'm not sure there is any trail filter
 that  truly  removes  viruses  "without chemicals" as some seem to be claiming.
 Hmmm. Talk about putting too much in one sentence.

  Weary