[at-l] Have I made a pack purchase mistake?

I thought I'd chime in.  With a pack (or most pieces of gear), it is
hard to know what you really need and want.  Some features are
good for some people.  Others are not.  Personally, I don't like
side zips and a sleeping bag divider.  I also don't use
hydration systems.  Renting a pack helps, but it is better to
buy something inexpensive and basic and use it till it falls
apart.  After that you'll know what features you like and which you
don't. On the other hand, this isn't really pratical all the time.
Gregory has a good reputation and the Shasta is supposed to be
a good all around pack.  I think you will be lucky to come in under
40 lbs, however.  Don't stress about equipment too much.  In the
end, it isn't that big of a factor.

If I was in the market for a medium size pack,
I'd take a hard look at the Osprey Aether 60, which seems to be
on sale everywhere.

Chris

Chris Willett
cwillett@math.uiuc.edu