[at-l] Stiffed by Hiker

On 8 Apr 2002 at 10:24, William Neal wrote:

> William, The "But I know I cleared all my checks" Turtle
> PS Okay so I better explain a little.  I lost my job and closed out my
> company's credit union account after a month.  Then I found out 2 months
> later a check had not cleared.  Due to a complicated mess, I got arrested
> for a $5 to $6 pizza buffet.  Cost me $80 bucks for pizza and water.  But I
> did get an excellent meal of cornbread, pintos, meatloaf, some veggies, and
> a slice of apple pie.  Most embarassing part was the "judge" let me off easy
> and promised he wouldn't tell my father (who had let him off easy when Dad
> was a magistrate).  MEA CULPA!!!

Many years ago, when I was in college in upstate New York, I had a
checking account that cost a dime a check.  When I graduated and
moved to the Boston area, I was delighted to find that one could have
a checking account that was actually free.

A few months later I got the idea to close out the old account, so I
wrote a check for cash for the amount of the balance.  Big mistake.
It caused an overdraft of $0.10, which caused a chain reaction that
took months to clear up.  That dime ended up costing me $20 or
maybe more, in overdraft fines, not to mention letters, phone calls,
bad credit, etc.

Banks can be real stupid sometimes.

rafe b
aka terrapin