[at-l] Spring hiking - a trip report

Thanks for the trip report Mara.
I especially appreciate all the detail.

> Curse myself for not bringing the closed cell foam pad to put on top of
> my
> Luxury Edition Long Therm-a-Rest (how many people have I told about
> closed-cell vs open-cell pads and how to use two in cold weather?).

I'm buying that closed cell pad right now...

> Eat quickly - before dinner gets cold.  Drink hot chocolate quickly -
> before
> it gets cold.

	I just have to say that I took my GaRuck-made Chainsaw Pot Cozy with me
when I went out in March.  Though I didn't carry any long-cooking
comestibles such as lentils and rice, I DID use it to keep my oatmeal and
suppers warm as I ate. Mmmmm, warm food...

> That's when I came to understand how best to light an alcohol stove.
> Step
> one - Pour an ounce or so of alcohol (prewarmed inside neck gaiter) in
> the
> stove and about half an ounce right on the table.  Step two - using
> butane
> lighter prewarmed inside glove, light table on fire.  Step three - put
> stove
> with a dribble of alcohol going down the side on the burning table.
> Tada!!!

	This last cold trip, I had good luck with the bottom of a cat food can
someone had given me - Freight Train, I believe it was.
	It was very light, fit in my cookpot, and the tiny lip gave me enough of a
reservoir to fill, light and thus heat the soda can stove. I was pleased,
and will keep it as part of my permanent alcohol stove kit.

> Sleep.  Crawl out of bags and tent.  Pee.  Admire stars.  Crawl back into
> tent and bags.  Sleep.  Crawl out of bags and tent.  Pee.  Admire stars.

Yah, when someone comes up with a female-friendly solution here, I want to
know...
--
    	Jan Leitschuh Sporthorses Ltd.

	Website: