[at-l] winter clothing list--starting early March

> Frogg Toggs jacket.

May I recommend the Packa?  I've just done an evaluation, which is available
here:

e%20-%20The%20Packa%20poncho/Shane%20Steinkamp.htm

> Bottom - 2 pr nylon shorts

Why two shorts but one shirt?  Sometimes I carry two and two, but more often
I carry one and one, and wash them when I wash me.  (Not recommended when
very cold...)

> One of the recent discussions on the list was acclimatization.

I like to expose myself to cold in the winter and heat in the summer.  Quick
story that illustrates the importance of acclimatization:  The Queen of
Hungary told the guard to fetch the Gypsy she saw from her window.  As the
man was dirty and smelly (Gypsy's have an aversion to bathing.  Really!),
the guards washed him and put him in fancy clothes.  When he was presented
to the Queen (who had herself been a Gypsy), she commented, "I preferred him
as he was."  The Gypsy replied, "I preferred you as you once were too."  For
his insolence, he was stripped naked, chained to a pole, and forced to sleep
in the snow.  The next morning, it was found that the Gypsy was alive and
well, but the guard set to stand watch over him had frozen to death.

> Bottom line is - you can have whatever you're willing to carry.

Are wheelbarrows allowed on the trail?  :)

Shane