[at-l] MD Hike & recipe

Hi again,
Just to share our last adventure.  Bogey and I hiked last weekend from =
Pen Mar to Harper's Ferry.  It was a nice weekend.  Not to hot, not too =
cold, rained every night and then all day Sunday.  We purchased the =
Go-Lite DEN 2 (Bogey is just not comfortable with the Cave tarp) and =
were amazed at its roominess, ease of setup and light weight (48 oz).  =
That's three less pounds than our REI tent.  We left the doors open all =
night for flow-thru ventilation. We got it at the Outfitter at Harper's =
Ferry early Friday morning before the hike, did not have time to seal it =
but it did not leak either night.=20
We used Aqua-Mira for water treatment which worked better than expected. =
 There was no chemical taste.  We each carried a water jug and while one =
was in the process of being purified we drank from the other.  It takes =
5 minutes for chemicals to react before putting it in the water.  Then =
the water must sit for 15-30 minutes depending on its temperature.=20
Maryland is so restrictive as for camping.  The Cowall shelter was full =
up Friday night and nowhere around it to setup the tent so we did what =
we always do, camped in the woods.  Then Sat. night we stayed at =
Dahlgren Campsite.  I remembered so well saying there in `90 in early =
April on our thru of VA-WV-MD.  It had changed a lot (it was paited =
green then and there were a lot more trees around, but I will never =
forget the warm water and showers.  Easter Morning it began to drizzle =
and we walked in it without rain gear since it was relatively warm.  We =
ate lunch at Gathland, MRE's Meatballs & sauce, lemon pudding, potato =
chips, Coca-Cola for dessert.  With this ultralight stuff we take more =
full-bodied meals.=20
RECIPE: We tried corned beef with Betty 'Crocker Potatoes and Seasoning' =
instant mashed potatoes and it was delicious if you can handle the =
weight of the Corned beef.  Just pour a packet of herb potato flakes =
into a pot of hot water ( more water than is required for just mashed =
potatoes), let it cook slowly until soupy then break up the corned beef =
and allow to warm.  It was very filling and tasty. =20
My only complaint, Betty Crocker is not a good backpacker.  I knew she =
was there but never once did she offer to carry some of my gear.  Bogey =
said she smelled better and wanted her in the tent.  She slept in a tree =
at the end of along rope after I told her, "I'm the only woman who =
sleeps with Bogey".  =20

Any day's a good day to hike,
SLIM aka Nancy

"I do not ask to walk smooth paths, nor bear an easy load,
I pray for strength and fortitude to climb the rock-strewn road.
Give me such courage, I can scale the heartiest peaks alone,=20
And transform every stumbling block into a stepping stone."=20
---unknown

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---