[at-l] Optimum Weight maintenance on a Thru=-Hike

I have never been light.  Always been a heavy eater.  Then I hit the trail
for a long-distance hike.  Lost 20 pounds plus the first week or so -- even
though for several months I had been spending 1 to 4 hours a day at gym:
Usually about 2.  And often I walked several miles a day -- 3 miles to work
and another mile to the gym -- that for about 5 years.  But I still
"sweated" a lot of weight off.

Every town or crossing that I hit, I'd eat.  At Walaysi (sp?) I bought a ton
of goodies.  And still loved the complimentary platter the hosts brought
down.  There were only 2 of us there but we ate.  And later they brought a
2nd platter since the couple in another room were out driving around.

During the hike I started getting weak and felt "fluish".  Went into Hot
Springs and found I wasn't eating enough!  Later found out that the average
hiker with a full pack burns 4000 to 6000 calories a day or the equivalent
of running two marathons in the same day.

When I got back "home", I pigged out constantly for awhile.  I just could
not get my metabolism to slow down.  I had to eat.  Later I read that long
distance hikers who are male tend to lose weight quicker, but tend to gain
it back faster.  While females have smaller losses and tend to keep it off.

As to "grease" in any form: It packs more calories per weight than do carbs
and protein.  And if you're truly hiking with a full pack, you should burn
it off.  But it does lack some of the other nutrients that you need.  I'm
switching from Wesson to good olive oil for dipping "bread" in and for LDHs
I think I'll find a good cheap supplier of summer sausages: Right after
Christmas a lot of big stores and chains put them on sale.  And at supply
stops, I'll look for flour tortillas and wrap hunks of cheese in them.

William, The "Is that a Pizza?!!!!!!" Turtle