[at-l] at-l] sandals for hiking?

Paul,

I did an extensive survey on sandals last spring, thinking I might do an
article on this. I even interviewed Phil Oren. I still might do the article.
You can do "field research."

> > Has anyone ever used sandals for long distance hiking? I have read
> > about people using them on the AT. It?s good because who cares if
> > they
> > get wet, their light, no need for socks and less blisters (for
> > warmer
> > weather of course). Just wanted some opinions. I am considering
> > the TEVA Wrapters.

I interviewed a fellow who did both the PCT and the AT in sandals. He used
Sealskinz when it snowed. Several others used their sandals for a break from
certain foot conditions, such as horrendous blisters, and as camp shoes.

My personal observations:

1) My toes - very happy toes! No blisters, lots of air, no hot spots. I used
the cheapest, TEVA Hurricanes (so did the above fellow). No strap rubbing
for me with this set-up. A toe-thong might be a different story.

2) My arches grew weary. I just need a heel cup because I pronate, and arch
support for plantar fascitis. In fact, I didn't even know what plantar
fascitis WAS until I hiked with a pack, in sandals.
Now, if one could rivet their orthotic to the sandal...
YOU may have bio-mechanically great feet, however. Your feet will tell you
what they need.

3) It was hard to "set an edge" in sandals for traction on slick, eroded
trails. I never realized how much I relied on the sides of my trail runners
until I had to do this.

4) In the pouring rain, I just sucked my socks and shoes, and they stayed
dry. They doubled as great camp shoes.

I never used them on rocky trails such as the infamous Pennsylvania
"shark-fin" sections. I did have to pay slightly more attention in general
to where I stepped, but no big deal.

One tip, which is counter-intuitive:
If you use the Hurricane-type straps (across the foot rather than between
the toes) set the straps slightly on the LOOSE side. The opposite of what
you might think.
That way you are "stepping" onto the shoe, not the trail, and the inevitable
little pebbles and such that work their way in just roll out each step.

> Thanx Paul L. (NY) (AT 2003)
I'm planning on 2003 too. See ya on the Trail...
Jan L.

--
    	Jan Leitschuh Sporthorses Ltd.

	Website: