[at-l] Need Help Choosing Backpack for AT

I struggled with the same problem. I have been a hiker for years and
spent most of my time in the Adirondacks. I started with the $50
Jansport external frame from Herman?s (an old out of business sporting
store in the North East) and did fine. As my hikes got more challenging
my gear needed to move with me. (Ever try to bush-wack with a external
frame pack.) About 6 years ago I got interested in the Gregory line of
packs. Since then I have been in LOVE with this company. I know ? it?s
very very very heavy. I would never suggest it for lightweight hiking.
This brings me to my point: I have recently begun to get more involved
in the ultra-light hiking style. In doing so I researched backpacks that
work for me. I figure this: why spend so much time and money to cut
weight just to have an uncomfortable pack. I favored the Kelty Flight
(can be trimmed down to about 2lbs) and the Mt.Smith Ghost (41oz). I put
25lbs in each and walked around the store for about an hour with each. I
found the Kelty to be uncomfortable with the hip belt and tricky with
all the removable parts. But if you are into being organized (having
used an external I know how that is) then this may work for you. Then
came the Mt. Smith: I found this to be very comfortable. It has a nice
wide hip belt and soft back. There is no real suspension to talk of (a
wire support ring) but with only 25lbs in it it was OK. (There is a
review at www.thru-hiker.com). As far as size goes the Mt. Smith holds
3100 and the Kelty holds 3500-4500. Hope this helps

Paul L. (NY) (AT 2003)